It’s a diagnosis made when your blood glucose is higher than it should be, but not high enough to be called diabetes. If you are over the age of 40, get tested. Here is a point of reference if you self-test.
- You are in a High risk type 2 diabetes group: you are over 45 and live a sedentary lifestyle or have a family history of it.
- If you’re overweight or obese or have related conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome or you had gestational diabetes, or diabetes diagnosed when you were pregnant, you could develop prediabetes after the baby’s born.
- If you have elevated blood sugar and notice increased thirst, dry mouth, a more frequent need to pee, urinary tract infections, blurred vision, headaches, increased hunger especially after eating, unexplained weight loss or unexplained fatigue.
- Do you sleep for less than six hours a night on a regular basis? Then you are more likely to have prediabetes. Researchers believe this may be the result of connections between hormones, the nervous system and sleep impairment.
- How does your skin look? If you have new dark patches on the neck, in the armpits, inside the elbows, behind the knees and on the knuckles. This is a condition called Acanthosis nigricans.
No matter how hard I try to teach having sugar in moderation everywhere I go I see shameful amounts of processed sugar at every celebration. The meal starts out well with a well balanced salad of fruits and vegetables; a delicious main course and then here comes dessert and candy “for the kids”. Why would anyone, especially kids, need that much refined sugar? We have to offer better choices and be better examples ourselves. In the end more of sweets secretly end up with the parents of those children. Whether it is a bad day, late night snack or argument with our spouse, sweets become our mood food. However, it only contributes to a worse mood.
See more on this on my Facebook page.
My mission is to prevent moms from neglecting themselves to the point of adrenal issues, thyroid issues, diabetes, heart disease and even cancer. These all result from lasting stress, being overweight and not exercising. Self-nurturing is about the long-term. That is why I am having the 5 Day Sugar Detox right before the full summer party season is coming. Sign up today so that you can get the prep emails and join the conversation in my Stress Free Sisterhood. This is your chance for a turn around. It starts June 26.